Fire Safety Rules for Outdoor Parties
Outdoor parties in the backyard or around the pool are delightful ways to spend time with friends and family. However, safety should be your top priority when hosting any kind of party, especially when you’re using open flames for lighting or ambiance. Fire sources such as candles, portable outdoor fireplaces, sky lanterns, patio (tiki) torches and fire pits can start a fire in your backyard if they’re not used carefully. Here are some practical tips to prevent fires during your next outdoor party:
- If there are children and pets at the party, always supervise them and keep them at least 3 feet away from flames.
- If the scene is decorated with burning candles, use sturdy candle holders to help prevent candles from being tipped over.
- More than half of all candle fires start when objects that can burn are too close to candles. Keep flammable objects far away from candles and any other open flame.
- We strongly recommend using battery-operated flameless candles and patio torches instead of their more dangerous, open-flame counterparts.
- When a portable fireplace is burning, be present at all times, or designate another responsible adult to keep an eye on the fireplace. More portable fireplace safety tips can be found here.
- Keep in mind that sky candles are prohibited by NFPA code requirements, so consider using something safer instead, such as kites or streamers.
- If you’re going to make a campfire, build it in a fire pit to help prevent fire from spreading. Never leave the fire unattended, and keep a water source nearby.
- If you’re grilling, keep the grill at least 10 feet away from structures and don’t turn on the gas with the lid closed. More grilling safety tips are available here.
Pool activities are a fun and healthy way to spend time, but they can sometimes result in injuries or worse. Click here to learn important pool safety guidelines. For safety information about hosting a party during the holidays read this article. To learn how to stay safe in a place of public assembly, such as a club or restaurant, follow these safety tips. For professional fire, water, and mold restoration services, contact your local PuroClean office.