Prevent Mold on Carpets with These 5 Tips
Mold is one of those pesky problems nobody wants to have in their homes. No matter how hard you try to avoid it though, you may still see a few patches of mold now and then. Besides walls and wooden items, the carpet is also a common target for mold growth as it easily attracts moisture and dirt. Keep your carpet mold-free with these five key tips:
1. Control the indoor humidity. Mold doesn’t only need standing water to grow – an area with increased humidity and heat is enough. As mold spores reproduce in excessively humid conditions, keep your indoor humidity under 60%. If you live in a humid area, install a dehumidifier that’s suited for your room size. Also keep the temperature in your home below 80 degrees F.
2. Remove carpet from humidity-prone areas. Don’t install carpet in areas that are more likely to experience humidity or water leaks, such as the basement and bathroom. These areas are also more prone to flooding caused by storms, river or ocean overflows, washing machine failures, and more.
3. Choose antimicrobial carpet padding. When you’re installing new carpet in your home, choose rubber-slab carpet padding, which is less prone to developing mold and bacteria. Although it’s a bit more expensive that normal padding, it’ll help keep mold at bay, especially if your home isn’t naturally low in humidity.
4. Remove standing water as fast as possible. Mold needs only a small amount of water and time (24-48 hours) to grow. So, if you have water damage, always remove the water and dry the carpet even if the damage was minor, such as a small spill or leak. Make sure there’s no moisture hiding underneath the carpet as well. In case of flooding, you may need to replace your carpet, depending on the floodwater (tap water, grey water or sewage). Learn more about saving your carpet after a flood.
5. Keep carpets clean. Dirt and dust are mold “food” which you should get rid of regularly from your carpet. Vacuum your carpet with a good-quality vacuum cleaner on a weekly basis. When the carpet needs to be cleaned, use a dry form of cleaning to minimize the amount of moisture your carpet absorbs.
Since mold can grow in most areas of a house, check out what causes mold to grow in homes. If you suspect that your home harbors mold, learn how to detect mold in homes. For mold remediation service and flood water damage repair, contact your local PuroClean office.